Hotel Sutherland opened on July 4, 1909, a resort for the weathly. Built with 52 rooms well furnished with every modern convenience, such as; running water, the newest design in commodes, sewage and a Delco Battery electric system. It included a dinning room that would accomodate 150 guest, which was very modern for the early 1900's. The Hotel register shows guests that came from all over the United States and some as far as Mexico, Canada and England.
Advertised as the "Most Beautiful Spot in Texas", and the Largest Sulphur bathing pool in America. First class hotel, best mineral waters in the State, hot and cold sulfur baths; finest swimming pool in the south; boating and fishing. A round trip ticket on the train cost 50 cents.
The Bath House was built in the early 1900's. The pool was divided into two sections by a cement wall with two drainage runoffs for the continuously flowing springs. The deeper side was fed by springs from the bottom of the pool and the other side had a cement bottom. The whole pool was surrounded with a cement sidewalk and walls.
Because the pool was spring fed, every so often it had to be skimmed off. Deposits of minerals floated to the top of the water, especially sulfur. The women at the other end of the pool are pushing a long board down the length of the pool to remove the floating mineral deposits.
Sunset Depot, early 1900's, Sutherland Springs, Texas.
Copyright 2010 Sutherland Springs Historical Museum. All rights reserved.